Photo Credit Erik Saulitis
- "Chopin Tribute" truly resonates when Sewell finds the balance between the playfulness and romantic beauty within the music. These moments are defined by elegant lifts, small hand gestures that flutter lightly with the rhythmic tones, solos tailor-made to the dancers' distinct personalities, or intentionally awkward interactions that reveal a sense of vulnerability. Majewski's playing is generous and all of the performers respond with joy in their steps.
- Caroline Palmer, Minneapolis STAR TRIBUNE
- A polished gem of a chamber dance troupe.
- Anna Kisselgoff, The New York Times
This exquisite chamber-sized contemporary ballet company brings a dynamic choreographic vision as well as a sense of humor to the stage. Truly the "un-stuffiest" ballet you'll ever see!
With music that runs the gamut from Chopin and Stravinsky to Lady GaGa and the Bad Plus, JAMES SEWELL BALLET creates works that engages audiences of all ages. Their programming for the 12-13 season at the Cowles Center includes "Ballet Macabre" from Oct 26 - Nov 4th, and "Lover" to the music of Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart in a delightful and light-hearted program, also available with live music. Performances April 5-13, 2013.
JSB's extensive touring experience, technical professionalism and outreach ability allows presenters to provide customized residency activities for their communities including:
- Community dancer participation
- Body/Mind/Wellness workshops
- Youth & Senior seminars